This is a space dedicated to helping you tackle your biggest career challenges. Whatever it is you're struggling with, whether it's figuring out your next career move, finding a new job or negotiating a promotion or pay rise, I'm here to answer your burning career questions.
- Hi Melanie. Back in the UK I’ve always used recruitment consultants to help me find a new job. Where’s the best place for me to look for consultants in my field here in Berlin? I'm in finance/ controlling. Thanks in advance, Clare.
- Hi Clare, A good place to look for help is experteer.de. The platform has a network of over 5,500 headhunters/ recruitment consultants across Germany, with salaries for positions averaging 60,000 EUR a year. You can search for consultants by industry as well as job function, and registration on the site for job candidates is free. Here's the link: https://www.experteer.de/headhunter/search. Please do let me know how you get on. Good luck with your job search!
- hello thank for your question place. Do I need to include photo on my cv ?
- Hi Miguel, Due to privacy laws, German companies aren't allowed to request a photo in their job ads, but they expect and want to see one on your CV nonetheless. They say that a CV with photo provides a more complete representation of the applicant, and allows them to 'connect' with the applicant in a way that can't be done just by scanning words on paper. I know this seems strange to some people, particularly if you come from the US, UK or Canada where labour and anti-discrimination laws prevent employers from requesting a good deal of personal information, but by not including a photo you risk having your application disregarded. I hope this helps.
- yup that does help thanks!
- Hi Melanie. I am about to relocate in Germany and at the same time to make a major shift in my career. I have a sports background (in football) and I am struggling in finding a job that suits me and matches my educational business background (MBA and Bachelor in Business Administration). Also, I am not a fluent German speaker (B1 level). Any suggestions regarding the steps I need to follow?
- Hi Pavlos, and thanks for writing. So just to clarify, you know what it is you'd like to do but you can't find any available opportunities here? Or you've been applying for jobs but haven't had any luck getting interviews? When are you arriving in Berlin?
- Hi Melanie. Thanks for replying. So, I had a short experience in sales jobs, but it's not my bliss. I havent found what it is that I love so far, apart from football and that is the biggest struggle at the moment. I did an effort in finding a role in football in Germany, but since I am it a fluent german speaker so far, i havent got any offers. So I applied for various jobs in Europe and Germany, without succeeding in getting a job offer as well. But as I said, the crucial thing is to find a role that fits my personality, background and skills. I will be in Berlin on Sunday for a week. I haven't yet fixed my permanent move.